Distribution System Operator Position Vacancy
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Deadline: Open until filled.
Orange-Alamance Water System, Inc. has a Distribution System Operator position vacancy. We rely on employees with professional communication and problem-solving skills to work closely with all staff and when providing assistance to our customers, contractors and vendors. This role applies technical judgement working in partnership with other staff and requires a high degree of interpersonal skills with the ability to make judgement calls; exercising professional and safe behavior at all times. The successful candidate must be able to operate the tools and equipment required for the position and work during all types of weather. Overtime/standby/recall is required when responding to emergencies or when scheduled. We seek those who are team-oriented, motivated with a good work ethic who takes pride in their work.
Applicants can expect to cross-train in the various work groups listed below:
- Customer Service
- Water Treatment Plant
- Operates heavy equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, tractors, mowers, trailers etc.
- Communicates work-related needs and issues by estimating needs; evaluation and approval of work site performance; and providing progress reports to supervision.
- Hauls, loads, unloads, delivery/installation of project-related materials, tools and equipment by reviewing orders; confirming delivery; storing and/or installing as required.
- Installs, repairs and maintains water meters.
- Performs maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Repairs water service connection and water main breaks.
- Installs, repairs and flushes fire hydrants, new service connections, air release valves, etc.
- Opens, closes valves to effectively operate distribution system.
- Flushes system and collects water samples.
- Locates water lines.
- Water Pump Station operations.
- Elevated Tank Operation & Maintenance.
- Water distribution system SCADA.
- Reads meters.
- Patches roadways and sidewalks at completion of task; repairs landscaping.
- Performs after-hours work as required.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and minimum of 18 years of age.
- Possesses a valid Driver’s License, preferably an A-CDL license or acquires within 90 days of hire.
- Minimum 3 years related experience
- Must be reachable by phone and subject to week-long on-call shifts on a regular basis.
- Competency with software, phones, tablets, hand-held devices, etc. for record-keeping, work communications and meter reading.
- Experience as a Heavy Equipment Operator using a backhoe, dump truck w/ trailer and hauling equipment.
- Experience with hand tools such as shovels, rakes, mattocks, augers, chain saws, tampers, etc.
- Knowledge of blueprint reading.
- Knowledge of relevant safety procedures and guidelines.
- Knowledge of standard water & wastewater materials and procedures.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations.
- Minimum NC Grade C Distribution Operator certification
- Competent Person
- Meter Technician
- Backflow Cross-Connection
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee in this position to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently/repeatedly required to stand; walk; use hands and exert forces needed to handle various types and sizes of tools, equipment and objects; reach with hands and arms to perform elevated/lowered work for periods of time; climb ladders and balance; climb into vehicles and equipment; stoop; kneel; half-kneel; squat, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull and/or move more than 100 pounds. An employee is this position will have successfully passed a health screening administered by a third-party health professional.
Safety Sensitive: This position has been identified as safety-sensitive. The employee in this position will be part of a random drug testing pool. The methodology for choosing the random test subjects is handled by an outside, impartial third-party vendor.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold, hot or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, mud, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, and irritating chemicals. The work will require the use of personal protective equipment.
Employment applications are available:
- On our website at www.orangealamancewater.com
- Employment Application: https://www.orangealamancewater.com/employment-application.html
- At the OAWS, Inc. Administrative office at 5900 US 70 Hwy. Mebane, NC 27302